10/04/2005

The 'B' Word

(Note: added 10/29/05 for updated Cubs info visit Chicago Cubs Online)

I was listening to the Angels-Yankees game tonight on ESPN radio. And there was a play where a fan almost interfered with a ball near the seats in the left field foul area. Does this sound familiar? The Angels' outfielder made the catch...then Dave Campbell blurts out 'That was almost like Steve Bartman'.

Almost like Steve Bartman??? Will the Cubs Faithful ever get a break from that horrible night? I said it the day after and I will say it 2 years later...Bartman did not cost the Cubs the game...he changed it. I think Alou would have caught the ball..no doubt. But Alex Gonzalez should have turned the double-play. He did not. The Cubs still had game 7. And they lost.

I did not sleep that night. That moment in time kept playing in my head. I remember looking at my wife and saying '5 more outs', then all (blank) broke loose. I still get sick when I think of what could have been. I still root for the team playing the Marlins.

One day all of the curses and goats and Steve Bartman will be erased. The Red Sox got rid of their's last year. Now there is hope for the Cubs Faithful.

It is amazing how the mention of one person's name can bring back such bad memories.

2 Comments:

At 10/06/2005 07:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bartman's place in Cubbie lore was solidified by the media and those that fail to realize that, as you said, Alex Gonzalez only had to turn two. So we've got the good...Ernie, Billy and Ryno and the bad....the goat and Bartman and the ugly...the Chi Sox winning. Sorry Sox fans, but I can't root for the Cubs and the Sox. Go Cubbies...Next year is our year!

 
At 3/31/2006 09:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Florida, however I'm a Cubs fan! After the 2003 NLCS, I prayed to the baseball gods to punish the Marlins for paying a bribe that can never be proven! And now the Marlins are cursed, it's called the hurricane curse! The hurricane curse is a double whammy because 1) the Marlins will never host a World Series again and 2) the state will get hit by a hurricane every year from here on out!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home